St. Aldhelm’s Home PressSt. Aldhelm’s Home Press https://frome-heritage-museum.org/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Frome Heritage Museum https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/e3f5dcb5404db6d78e713798535c0c8c?s=96&d=mm&r=g
The Church of England Incorporated Society for providing Homes for Waifs and Strays was established in 1881 to rescue and care for destitute and neglected children. By 1887 there were 30 homes in England, caring for 1,000 children, one of which was in Frome. A committee of local and diocesan members had been formed and 6 Sunnyside was leased, initally for 24 boys followed by 18 more a year later.
With the prospect of the lease expiring in 1872, the trustees raised funds to acquire a new site and build a home on the corner of Green Lane and Oakfield Road. Beside the building itself there were workshops, a playground, carriage drive and garden, with accommodation for 42 boys, who after being educated at the National School, which stood at the top of Bath Street were sent into service or apprenticed to various trades. One of the trades was printing, under a master printer, who was employed in the home. This reflected the growing importance of printing in Frome. The Home closed in 1950 and was adapted to a hospital caring for the elderly.