We are always working on long-term projects based around our collections.
In 2022 we completed several important pieces of work, including:
- Copying the nationally important set of hundreds of glass slides from the Singer foundry. Volunteers inspected and cleaned the images, then scanned and archived them electronically. A selection of the images is available to view in the Museum’s online Collections catalogue
- Cataloguing the archive left to us by the respected local historian Derek Gill, for whom our library is named
- Cataloguing the work the Museum holds by Sylvia Green, a noted artist, illustrator and costume designer with a particular interest in ballet. You can read more about the Museum’s research into Sylvia’s fascinating life here.
All these collections are available to view by appointment, and many elements can be found in the Museum’s online Collections catalogue.
In 2023 we will be continuing our work on The Blue House and we look forward to investigating the following new collections:
Frome Drama Club
Frome Drama Club has donated its significant archives covering the history of the club since it was founded in 1946, including material relating to every play they have produced since the early 1950’s. This will sit neatly alongside the archives of the Frome Amateur Operatic Society (now known as the Frome Musical Theatre Company) to provide a comprehensive history of theatre in Frome.
The Museum has received a donation from Michael McGarvie, the well- known and respected local historian and author. He has goiven us a large quantity of documents and records covering Frome topics and family histories, together with correspondence related to his research.
Cooper and Tanner
Cooper and Tanner estate agents in Frome will be donating all their sales particulars since 1993 to the Museum in 2023.
St John’s Church
St John’s Church in Frome has an invaluable collection of documents created and collected over several centuries as part of its responsibilities as Frome’s central church. Discussions between St. John’s Church and the Museum are underway that would allow the church to use the Museum’s online catalogue facilities, improving public access to this important archive.
Volunteers continue to extract interesting items from our collection of back copies of local newspapers, including the Somerset Standard. Some of the cuttings are included in the online Collections catalogue.
We always welcome new volunteers to help with our project work. Please get in touch if you are interested.