What you will find in our collections
Our collections are an incredible resource for research, whether you are a family historian, an academic, an artist, a writer or just interested in finding out more about Frome and the surrounding area.
We currently hold around 11,600 documents, 4,400 photographs, 2,300 books; 1,300 maps, 3,600 objects (including geology and archaeology items) and our collecction is growing all the time.
The topics covered by the material include:
- Frome Streets – activities and buildings
- Villages near to Frome
- Industry and Transport
- Natural History – geology and archaeology
- Organisations – churches, schools, commercial enterprises#
- Governance – councils, public services, politics
- Lifestyle – health, sport, leisure, household/domestic
- Events affecting Frome – national and local
It is a treasure chest of history giving a tantalising glimpse into the life and characters of Frome. Dive in and start searching!
Frome Museum’s collection is available online. Our online Collections catalogue provides searchable access to the records for the 23,000 items owned by the museum, physical artefacts, books, documents, photos, paintings, maps, newspaper articles.
The catalogue descriptions have been compiled by museum volunteers and normally consist of a couple of sentences or so, sometimes accompanied by an image. If you are interested in viewing an item during a visit to the museum, it is worth jotting down its Object Number so that stewards at the museum can track it down quickly and easily.
You will find instructions on the front page of the catalogue but here are a couple of tips:
- Be Smart, narrow things down. If you’re looking for the famous stained glass windows in Trinity Church, “Trinity Church” gives 100+ entries, “Holy Trinity Church” about 70, and “Trinity Church Windows” just 8.
- Take care, we are not Google. If you want a “society” but you spell it “soceity”, you won’t find it.
Please note that by accessing this catalogue, you are agreeing with the statements below and will abide by them.
- © Frome Heritage Museum (also referred to as Frome Museum) 2020. This website, its catalogue and its content are protected by copyright held by Frome Heritage Museum. Copyright held by third parties is acknowledged where known, and where unknown will be acknowledged when notified to, and verified by, Frome Heritage Museum.
- No Liability. Frome Heritage Museum cannot assert the accuracy of information or documentation contained in its Catalogue or its Archives, and accepts no liability for the actions of those using the Catalogue and the information relating to it.